Monday, March 14, 2011

A Very Long Journey: Sketches from Abroad

Before leaving the U.S. I decided to grab a Moleskine and participate in The Sketchbook Project. I picked a theme, Down Your Street for my book only to spend the first month of my journey trying to figure out what I wanted to draw on those very empty pages. I can't think of too many tasks as daunting as filling a completely blank sketchbook with drawings that you have to share with others.

By the time we reached Malaysia (after a month of staring at the book) I had a plan; draw the people I'd met along the way. Two months later, when we reached Northern Thailand I had a sketchbook full of watercolors of the nicest, oddest, cutest and just plain bizzare people we had seen and met along the way.

Having been on the road for six months now, the list has grown extensively. I'm still painting new friends and people who I just stop and watch on the streets (there are quite a few of these). A Very Long Journey, my contribution to The Sketchbook Project is currently a traveling show touring the U.S. The Projects will ultimately end up in the Brooklyn Art Library as part of their permanent collection.

Below is a video and some photos of my drawings for the project. Click here to view tour dates and other sketch books.


A VERY LONG JOURNEY COVER

A VERY LONG JOURNEY Mehri and Mike
My aunt and uncle in Orange County who set us off with
 a lovely fruit basket that kept us busy until we
arrived in San Francisco 6 hrs later.

A VERY LONG JOURNEY Who is Robert Wong?
Robert Wong, a magician with pork. His restaurant had us
coming back for more during our stay in Kuala Lumpur.

A VERY LONG JOURNEY Bonnie and the Buckets
Bonnie, a young Australian who took us
back to our college days with a few buckets.

A VERY LONG JOURNEY Alfie
A 4 year old I met while in Gili Trawangan, Indonesia.
Alfie had a better vocabulary and command of the
English Language than most adults I know.
The only thing that gave him away for
being four years old were his 'E's 


A VERY LONG JOURNEY Justin Genovese and the Eraser Bits
This lovey man is who I get to enjoy all these travels with. He's also kind enough to tolerate the little eraser bits I leave behind.

1 comment:

  1. i love all of this...ya'll make me jealous for adventure and tainted drinking water.

    ReplyDelete